Turkish Fleet Sinks before the Engagement
Within minutes of news getting out of the pyrotechnic flagship’s keeling over on June 23, 2007, a number of conspiracy theories erupted:
- There was an altercation with a speeding water taxi.
- An unexpected and isolated squall caused the “main event” to capsize.
- The ex/current/former/future mayor sent a secret underwater demolition squad to scuttle the boat.
- The ex/current/former/future mayor had an oar in its sinking in order to frame the ex/current/former/future mayor.
- The boat purchased was so rotten with woodworm that even the fisherman who sold it was surprised to see it float in the first place.
- The Militant Albanian Liberation Army, in coalition with the Kamini Anarchists (MALA/KA), had infiltrated the pyrotechnic preparations, upsetting the ballast and ensuring the flagship would turn turtle (motives remain mysterious).
- And then … there’s the CIA
Of course, a skeptical few believed it was simply an unfortunate accident.
The Show Must Go On
All joking aside, organizers and Hydriotes are to be commended for producing a spectacular show and fireworks display for Hydra’s major annual festival in the face of such adversity. Bravo!